Among the earliest of the more than a dozen Julius Rosenwald Schools built in Brunswick County, Saint Paul’s Chapel School was constructed as a one-teacher standard plan in 1920 under the initial wave of Tuskegee Institute-administered building funds. Contributors included the Rosenwald Fund ($300), local black families ($450), and public money ($750) for a total of $1,500. Between 1917 and 1932, the Rosenwald Fund helped build more than 5,000 African American schools across the rural South. Former student Erwin L. Avery restored the school in 2004. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register.
Date Installed-Dedicated: June 7, 2014
Original Sponsor: William A. Olson
Geographic Location: Brunswick County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: 109 Brunswick Drive (VA State Route 644) Alberta, VA 23821. Just north of intersection with Interstate 85.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth