St. Luke's Church, also known as "The Brick Church," and the Newport Parish Church, is likely America's purest expression of Gothic architecture. Its buttressed walls, lancet side windows, and traceried east windows link the building to the architecture of the Middle Ages. Although oral tradition dates the structure to 1632, architectural evidence suggests that the church with its tower was constructed during the last quarter of the 17th century. After the disestablishment of the Anglican Church in 1786, St. Luke's fell into disrepair and was more or less in ruins for most of the 19th century. A series of repairs began in the late 19th century and a thorough restoration was completed in 1957. (National Historic Landmark, 1960)
Geographic Location: Isle of Wight County
Physical Description of Location: Carrollton, VA 23314. Located on Benns Church Blvd (Rt. 32), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of Benns Church Blvd (Rt. 32) and Brewers Neck Blvd (Hwy 258). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Benns Church Blvd (Rt. 32).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth