Built in 1835, this church replaced the Lunenburg Parish Lower Church (ca. 1732), abandoned after the American Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church. Different denominations occupied some colonial Anglican churches; others fell into ruin. Saint John's Church, featuring Flemish-bond brick and Classical Revival design, exemplifies the revitalization of the Episcopal Church in Virginia under Rt. Rev. Richard Channing Moore, second bishop of Virginia (1814-1841), who revived old parishes and rebuilt ruined churches. He inspired young rectors, including the Rev. George Washington Nelson, buried in the churchyard, who revived North Farnham, Cople, and Lunenburg Parishes.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Saint John's Church
Geographic Location: Richmond County
Physical Description of Location: 128 St. Johns Street, Warsaw, VA 22572. Marker is in front of church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth