In 1951, the National Gallery of Art established a secret emergency repository (Code named Project Y) for its distinguished collection of art on the campus of Randolph-Macon Woman's College. The specially designed reinforced concrete building, situated at the end of Quinlan Street, was built for use in the event of national crisis during the Cold War. In exchange for ownership and use of the facility, the college made it available to the National Gallery for 50 years for emergency purposes. The A. W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust financed its construction. The building is now the home of the college's Maier Museum of Art.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Lynchburg
Physical Description of Location: Lynchburg, VA 24503. Located on Rivermont Avenue, 2 miles east of the junction of Rivermont Avenue and Langhorne Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Rivermont Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth