As British Gen. Sidney Beckwith dispersed the local militia on 25 June 1813, Adm. Sir George Cockburn feigned an attack with barges at the mouth of the Hampton River. Hampton’s water battery was abandoned and the British occupied the town. Their initial march in the town became known as the Sack of Hampton. There were reports that “at little Hampton, every horror was committed with impunity—rape, murder, pillage.” These outrages became a rallying cry for the defense of the Chesapeake. By the end of June, the British left to raid elsewhere.
Date Installed-Dedicated: 07/09/2013
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: War of 1812 Commission - Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Hampton
Physical Description of Location: 2599 Chesapeake Ave Hampton, VA 23661. Marker is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Chesapeake Avenue and Powhatan Parkway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth