The county government was organized at Russell's Fort, May 9, 1786, with the following officers: Alexander Barnett, county lieutenant; David Ward, Sheriff; Henry Dickenson, clerk. Justices: Alexander Barnett, Thomas Carter, Henry Smith, Henry Dickenson, David Ward, John Thompson, Samuel Ritchie. The present courthouse was built in 1874.
Geographic Location: Russell County
Physical Description of Location: Main Street (US 19), between Court Avenue and Hendricks Avenue, Lebanon, VA 24266. Marker is on right when traveling west on US 19.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth