Nearby stood Rucker's Chapel, one of the first Anglican (present-day Episcopal) churches in Amherst County. Also known as Harris Creek Church and later as St. Matthew's, the church was founded by Col. Ambrose Rucker before 1751. It stood on part of a 5,850-acre tract his father, John Rucker, patented in 1745. The church served its congregation until 1847, when the members moved to Ascension Church, in Amherst. Logs from the chapel were later used to construct a corncrib at Sweet Briar College, two miles north.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/20/08
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: The Rucker Family Society, Christopher Rucker
Geographic Location: Amherst County
Physical Description of Location: Amherst, VA 24521. Located on South Amherst Hwy (Rt. 163), 0.25 miles west of the intersection of South Amherst Hwy (Rt. 163) and North Coolwell Road. Marker is on the right when traveling west on South Amherst Hwy (Rt. 163).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth