According to tradition, the Upper Holston congregation of the Presbyterian Church was organized in 1776 on John Campbell's land at Royal Oak and built a log structure there. This was one of the first denominations to organize in present-day Smyth County. Eventually it was named the Royal Oak Presbyterian Church; a nearby cemetery plot still exists. The congregation moved to a brick building in Marion in 1853, and in 1885 a new structure was constructed on the current site of the church. In 1923, the 1885 structure was torn down and a Late Gothic Revival-style church was built.
Geographic Location: Smyth County
Physical Description of Location: 1132-1298 Highland Drive, .1 miles south of intersection with Johnston Road, Marion, VA 24354.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth