This place was established as the county seat when Franklin County was formed. The first court was held in March, 1786. The first (log) courthouse was replaced in 1831. In 1836 the town consisted of 30 dwellings and a number of business houses. General Jubal A. Early practiced law here. The town was incorporated in 1873. The present courthouse was built in 1909.
Geographic Location: Franklin County
Physical Description of Location: 200 South Main Street (Route 220), Rocky Mt, VA 24151. Marker is on left when traveling south.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth