The first village here, at Pate's Mill and Tavern on Evans' Mill Creek, was called Big Lick for nearby salt marshes. In 1839 it was laid off as the town of Gainesborough. After the coming of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad (later N.&W.) in 1852, another village sprang up about the old Stover House that was also named Big Lick. Gainesborough became known as Old Lick.
Geographic Location: Roanoke (City)
Physical Description of Location: 700-754 S Jefferson Street (US 221), near the top of the T intersection with Day Avenue SW, Roanoke, VA 24011. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 220.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth