The Roanoke farmers' market is one of the oldest such markets in continuous use in Virginia. In 1882, licenses were issued to twenty-five hucksters. The City of Roanoke's first charter formally authorized a municipally owned market in 1884, and the first permanent market building was completed in 1886. This formed the core of a continuing curb market in and around the Market Square. The present market building was erected in 1922 to replace the original market structure.
Geographic Location: Roanoke (City)
Physical Description of Location: 25 Campbell Avenue SE, about 200 feet east of intersection with S Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth