containertop

Road to the Valley Marker, E-54

By the first quarter of the 1700s, revisions to the road laws in the colony mandated more convenient travel routes over land. In conjunction with new settlement pushing west through the Piedmont region to the Blue Ridge, a series of old Indian trails and new roadways slowly became interconnected and developed into a regional transportation system. Construction began about 1731, and by 1759 this road extended northwest through Prince William County from Dumfries and crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains via Ashby's Gap. Portions of this early route underlie sections of present-day Route 234 (Dumfries Road) and Route 619.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Northern Virginia Region
Geographic Location: Prince William County
Physical Description of Location: 10594-10664 Bristow Road (Virginia 619), on left just prior to intersection with Iron Brigade Unit Avenue, Bristow, VA 20136
GPS Location: 38.727929,-77.541215
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom