On 2 Feb. 1883, women from five local Presbyterian churches formed the Richmond Exchange for Woman’s Work. Adopting a successful model previously followed by women in other American cities, their goal was to help women in reduced circumstances support themselves by selling handmade goods through a consignment shop operated by the exchange. The exchange did a bustling business, eventually growing to include a bakery, a catering department, and classes in marketable skills that prepared needy women to earn a living and achieve a measure of economic security. The exchange closed in 1957 as employment opportunities for women outside the home began to expand.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources - Proposed by: Autumn Rheinhardt Simpson, Richmond NOW
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - Northeast corner of Third and Franklin Streets, Richmond, VA 23219.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth