Originally known as Hughlett's Tavern, this building, located behind the courthouse, served visitors to court for more than 150 years. John Hughlett erected the original portion of the tavern before 1795. Griffin H. Foushee, who purchased it in 1824, significantly enlarged it. John Rice bought it in 1866 and the Rice family enlarged the building and operated it as a hotel until the 1920s when they converted it to apartments. Donated to the Northumberland County Historical Society by the Rice family in 1990, Rice's Hotel/Hughlett's Tavern is one of the few surviving structures of its type in Virginia.
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: 7013 U.S. 360 (Northumberland Highway), Heathsville, VA 22473. Marker is on right when traveling east on 360, in front of hotel building.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth