Elijah W. Reed, a New England ship captain, established the town in 1874 after building a factory here to process menhaden, a small bony fish rich in oil. Reedville soon became the center of the industry and home port to the Atlantic menhaden fleet. By the early 20th century the town, which resembled a New England fishing village, reputedly had one of the highest per capita incomes in the country. Its historic district contains early fishermen's houses and Victorian mansions. The oldest dwelling is the Walker House (1875).
Geographic Location: Northumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Junction of Northumberland Highway (US 360) and Liberty Street (State Route 726), Reedville, VA 22539. Marker is on right when traveling east on 360.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth