West of here, on the ridge between the Mattaponi and Rappahannock Rivers, the Rappahannock Indians built a fort to defend themselves from hostile settlers and other Indians during Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. An order of the colonial Virginia Council in 1682 granted 4,000 acres to the Rappahannocks "about the town where they dwelt." In 1683, following increased attacks along the Virginia frontiers by Iroquoian warriors, the General Assembly ordered the Rappahannocks either to find a new home or merge with the Nanzaticos. During January and February 1684, the Rappahannocks and their belongings were transported 35 miles up the Rappahannock River.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: Central, VA 22436. Located on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17), 0.8 miles southeast of the intersection of Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17) and State Route 670. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth