Scenically situated along the Blue Ridge Mountains, Rappahannock County was formed from Culpeper County in 1833. It was named for the Rappahannock River, which forms its northern border. The Rappahannock River received its name from the Indian tribe that lived along its banks. The county seat is Washington, whose name honors George Washington, who platted the grid plan for the community in 1749. Malcolm F. Crawford, who had worked at the University of Virginia, constructed the Roman Revival courthouse there in 1833.
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: 4538 Remount Road (US 522), Front Royal, VA 22630. Marker is on right when traveling south on US 522, about 350 feet past intersection with Bear Hollow Drive.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth