Chartered in 1830 in Boydton, this institution is the oldest Methodist-affiliated college in continuous operation in the United States. It is named for statesmen John Randolph of Virginia and Nathaniel Macon of North Carolina. The college was moved to Ashland in 1868 due to post-Civil War financial difficulties. Chi Beta Phi, a national honorary science fraternity, was founded here in 1916. In the 1890s, the college's administration founded Randolph-Macon Academy (Front Royal) and Randolph-Macon Woman's College (Lynchburg). The Ashland campus was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1979.
Geographic Location: Hanover County
Physical Description of Location: Ashland, VA 23005. Located on England Street (Rt. 54), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of England Street (Rt. 54) and Washington Hwy (Hwy 1). Marker is on the left when traveling east on England Street (Rt. 54).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth