It originated as a railroad town in 1856 and was known as Central. In 1862-65 this section was in the range of Union raids; Confederates burned the bridge at Ingles Ferry to retard raiders. Incorporated in 1887 as a town, the place was incorporated as a city in 1892 and named Radford, for Dr. John B. Radford, prominent citizen. Radford State Teachers College was established here, 1913.
Geographic Location: Radford
Physical Description of Location: East Main Street (US 11), about .15 miles east of intersection with Tyler Avenue (Virginia 177), Radford, VA 24142. Marker is on right when traveling east on East Main Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth