Seven miles southeast on Town Creek near the mouth of the Corrotoman River is the site of Queenstown. The town was created in 1692 in accordance with the Act of Ports passed that year by the Virginia General Assembly to establish in each county port towns to centralize trade and tax collection. Capt. David Fox and Robert "King" Carter served as town trustees and sold lots laid out on 50 acres of Capt. William Ball's land. Carter built the county courthouse and prison there about 1699. The town declined after his death in 1732, the county seat was moved to present-day Lancaster a decade later, and Queenstown slowly disappeared.
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: Located on White Chapel Road (Rt. 201), less than 1/5 of a mile northeast of the junction of White Chapel Road (Rt. 201) and River Road (Rt. 354). Marker is on the left when traveling northeast on White Chapel Road (Rt. 201).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth