Established by 1807, the Providence Church congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church became one of the first Methodist congregations in Chesterfield County to build a permanent house of worship when it constructed a meetinghouse here before 1813. The congregation included both whites and blacks. During the Civil War, soldiers from both sides used the church for shelter. In 1896 the congregation built a Gothic Revival church here; it was replaced in 1958.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Midlothian, VA 23236. Located on South Providence Road, 0.25 miles north of the intersection of South Providence Road and Elkhardt Road. Marker is on the right when traveling north on South Providence Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth