Here about 1770, Charles Jeffery Smith, a Presbyterian minister, settled and, with William Holt, built a forge for making farm implements. Francis Jerdone became a partner in 1771. A militia camp was established here in 1781, and Lafayette was here in July and August, 1781.
Geographic Location: New Kent County
Physical Description of Location: 18639 Eltham Rd (Route 33 and 30 Eastbound), West Point, VA 23181. Marker is on right about 500 feet past intersection with Virginia Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth