Ben Brown and other newly freed slaves, who founded the community after the Civil War, first named the settlement Egypt and then Bethel. About 1881, the community became known as Proffit when the Virginia Midland Railway placed a stop here, stimulating further development between 1890 and 1916 by white landowners who built along Proffit Road. Prominent reminders of Proffit's black heritage are Evergreen Baptist Church, built in 1891, and several houses constructed by the Brown and Flannagan families in the 1880s. The district was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1998 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.
Geographic Location: Albemarle County
Physical Description of Location: 2201 Mossing Ford Rd Rivanna, VA 22911. Located on Proffit Road, less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of Proffit Road and Co Rd. 741. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Proffit Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth