This is the site of Princess Anne County Training School, the first school for African Americans in the county. The Princess Anne County Training Association and surrounding communities raised money to purchase property to build a high school. In 1934 a temporary site was established at Union Baptist Church until a four-room building was completed in 1938. The high school later expanded in size and faculty and was renamed Union Kempsville High in 1961, just before the county became the city of Virginia Beach. In 1969 the high school closed after citywide racial integration made it necessary. The last class graduated in 1969.
Date Approved by DHR: 12/18/08
Year On Marker: 2008
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: Northwest corner of N Witchduck Road (Virginia 190) and Cleveland Street, in front of high school, Virginia Beach, VA 23462.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth