Prince Edward State Park for Negroes was established in 1950 one mile west on the site of the former Prince Edward Lake Recreation Area for Negroes. Maceo C. Martin, an African American from Danville, sued the state when he was denied access to Staunton River State Park. Governor William M. Tuck funded the new park to provide "similar and equal" facilities in lieu of access. The park, with a black superintendent, was operated separately from neighboring Goodwin Lake Recreation Area until the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The two parks merged in 1986 to form Twin Lakes State Park.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: Patrick Henry Highway (US 360), about 2 miles southwest of interchange with US 460, Burkeville, VA 23922.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth