The first Presbyterian seminary in the South was established here in 1812 as the Theology Department of Hampden-Sydney College. It became independent of the college in 1822. After the synods of Virginia and North Carolina assumed joint ownership in 1827, it was called Union Theological Seminary; several of its buildings still stand. When the seminary moved to Richmond in 1898, its property on the south side of this road was purchased by Maj. Richard M. Venable, of Baltimore, and donated to the college.
Geographic Location: Prince Edward County
Physical Description of Location: County Road 1001, about 200 feet west of intersection with College Road, Farmville, VA 23901. Marker is on the Hampden-Sydney College campus.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth