containertop

Powhatan Marker, V-49

In this vicinity is believed to be the birthplace of Wahunsunacock, better known as Powhatan. A village stood nearby that also bore the name Powhatan. By the time the English arrived in 1607, Powhatan was acknowledged as the paramount chief of about 30 districts, with more than 150 villages. His dominions, called Tsenacomoco, stretched approximately to the Potomac River in the north and to the fall line of the rivers to the west, and from just south of the James River eastward to the Atlantic Ocean. Powhatan played a leading role in early relations between the English and the Virginia Indians and was the father of Pocahontas. He died in April 1618.

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 09/14/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Henrico, VA 23231. Located on Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5), 0.5 miles north of the junction of Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5) and New Market Road (Rt. 5). Marker is on the right when traveling north on Osbourne Turnpike (Rt. 5).
GPS Location: 37.49684,-77.405088
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom