The first courthouse was built here about 1783 and around it grew the village of Scottville. Named for Revolutionary War Gen. Charles Scott, who was born in the area, the town eventually became known as Powhatan Court House. The present courthouse was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis, of New York, and built in 1849. It is a masterpiece of Greek Revival architecture. The oldest building in the court square is the clerk's office built about 1798 and nearby is a late-18th-century double-galleried courthouse tavern. Part of the Confederate army, retreating from Richmond, passed here on 4 Apr. 1865.
Geographic Location: Powhatan County
Physical Description of Location: 3872-3888 Old Buckingham Road (Virginia 13), Powhatan, VA 23139. Marker is in front of courthouse.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth