This is the site of Poplar Spring Church of Petsworth Parish. In 1694, old Petsworth Church was abandoned in favor of this church. It was considered the finest church of colonial Virginia. In 1676, the followers of Bacon, the Rebel, interred here a casket supposed to contain his remains, but in reality filled with stones. The body was buried secretly.
Year On Marker: 1930
Geographic Location: Gloucester County
Physical Description of Location: 10413 George Washington Hwy Petsworth, VA 23061. Located on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17), 0.5 miles north of the junction of George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17) and State Route 613. Marker is on the right when traveling north on George Washington Memorial Hwy (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth