Poplar Lawn is now known as Central Park. Here the Petersburg Volunteers camped in October 1812, before leaving for the Canadian border. Here Lafayette was greeted with music and speeches in 1824. The place was bought by the city in 1844. Volunteer companies enlisted here, April 19, 1861. In the siege of 1864-65 a hospital stood here.
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of intersection between S. Sycamore Street and E. Filmore Street, Petersburg, VA 23803. Marker is on right when traveling north on S. Sycamore Street. It is set slightly off the roadside.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth