Popes Creek Episcopal Church Marker, J-69-a
On this site, a part of "Longwood," stood Popes Creek Episcopal Church, built about 1744 on land given by the McCarty family. The Lees and Washingtons worshipped here. About 1826 it fell into disuse and was burned as being unsafe.
Marker Information:Year On Marker: 1959
Geographic Location: Westmoreland County
Physical Description of Location: Top of T intersection between Kings Highway (Virginia 3) and Longwood Road (State Route 624), Montross, VA 22520. Marker is on right when traveling east on Virginia 3.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth