containertop

Pope’s Army of Virginia Marker, J-29

On 26 June 1862, President Abraham Lincoln appointed Maj. Gen. John Pope to command the Union army that operated in Virginia. The Corps led by Maj. Gen. Franz Sigel, who had recently replaced Maj. Gen. John C. Frémont, posted around Sperryville, was consolidated with those of Maj. Gens. Nathaniel P. Banks and Irvin McDowell under Pope and named the Army of Virginia. Pope led the army through the Union defeat at the Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) on 30 Aug. 1862. He was relieved his command on 2 Sept., and the Army of Virginia was absorbed into Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac. Error: Note that the last sentence of the marker is incorrect, and should read: He was relieved of his command on 2 Sept., and the Army of Virginia was absorbed into Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's Army of the Potomac.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: South corner of intersection between Sperryville Pike (US 522) and Johnson Farm Lane, Sperryville, VA 22740. Marker is on left when traveling north on US 522.
GPS Location: 38.6559132760,-78.2243330430
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom