Here was an important supply depot and arsenal of the Virginia government in 1781, and here Baron von Steuben, commanding the American forces, trained recruits for Greene's army in the South. Threatened by Cornwallis's approach, Steuben moved stores across James River. On June 4, 1781, Colonel Simcoe, with his cavalry, made Steuben believe that the whole British army was at hand. Steuben retreated, leaving stores to be destroyed.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Columbia, VA 23038. Located on East River Road (Rt. 6), 1.5 miles west of the junction of East River Road (Rt. 6) and Stage Junction Road. Marker is on the left when traveling west on East River Road (Rt. 6).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth