This Greek Revival building was erected in 1853 as the third Court House of Pittsylvania County. The county, formed in 1767, and the Town of Chatham were named for William Pitt, First Earl of Chatham. The present Court House replaced a structure built in 1783 one block west where the old office of the clerk still stands. The court was removed to this locality from Callands in 1777.
Geographic Location: Pittsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 25-65 US 29 Business (Main Street), in front of Pittsylvania county offices, Chatham, VA 24531.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth