The Reverend John Kobler preached the first sermon by a Methodist in Tazewell County here in 1793 and received eleven members into the church. The church building, constructed on a parcel of land donated by Thomas Peery, was the first church of any denomination in the county. The construction of the Clinch Valley Railroad in 1889 necessitated the relocation of the church to its present site. Pisgah is the mother church of numerous Methodist and later United Methodist congregations and ministers.
Geographic Location: Tazewell County
Physical Description of Location: US 460 westbound at intersection with US 460 Business and State Route 632, Tazewell, VA 24651. Marker is on right when traveling west on 460.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth