Eight miles west on "The Old Main Road" is Piney Grove. The original portion, built ca. 1800 on Southall's Plantation, is a rare survival of Tidewater log architecture. Edmund Archer Saunders, a successful Richmond businessman, operated a store at Piney Grove between 1857 and 1874 when he sold it to Thomas Harwood. Saunders later returned to Charles City County and purchased Upper Shirley and Weyanoke plantations. Harwood enlarged the building for his home in 1910.
Geographic Location: Charles City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Memorial Hwy, less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of John Tyler Memorial Hwy and Wilcox Neck Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on John Tyler Memorial Hwy.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth