Nearby to the east once stood the community of Peytonsburg, a part of Halifax County when the county was formed in 1752. Peytonsburg was incorporated as a town in 1759 by the Virginia General Assembly and became part of Pittsylvania County in 1766. During the Revolutionary War, by the late 1770s, Peytonsburg was serving as a supply depot for southern colonial troops. Horseshoes and wooden canteens were made there for colonial troops. During the 1780s, Peytonsburg was a terminus of a mail route that ran from the town to Richmond. The inhabitants gradually left the town during the 19th century, and the buildings gradually disappeared.
Geographic Location: Pittsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: US 29, Chatham, VA 24531. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 29, about .2 miles south of interchange with Chalk Level Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth