Nearby stood Penny’s (Penney’s) Tavern, named for Lincefield Penney who purchased the site in 1811. The tavern catered to travelers making their way to old Spotsylvania Courthouse site (1781-1837), located approximately one mile north of the tavern site across the Po River. After the Court House burned in 1837 and was moved to its present location, business greatly declined. By 1840 the property was sold to Mansfield Wigglesworth who operated a tavern there called Wigglesworth Tavern. The tavern was closed by the outbreak of the Civil War. The intersection where the tavern once stood was known as Penny’s Crossroads into the twentieth century.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: .1 miles east of junction (traffic light) between State Route 606 and Lake Anna Parkway, Spotsylvania, VA 22551. Marker is on right when traveling east on Lake Anna Parkway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth