Following the 10 June 1861 Battle of Big Bethel, Maj. Gen. John B. Magruder, commander of the Confederate Army of the Peninsula, organized the construction of three defensive lines of fortifications across the peninsula. The main line extended 12 miles from Yorktown to the Warwick River and downstream to Lee’s Mill, then westward to Skiffes Creek, which flowed into the James River at the Mulberry Island Point battery. When Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan began his Peninsula Campaign to capture Richmond, the Warwick River fortifications blocked the progress of Army of the Potomac on 5 April 1862. McClellan ordered a siege that lasted from 5 April to 4 May 1962.
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: Constitution Way, Newport News, VA 23603. Near Newport News Golf Club.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth