The town was laid off in 1806 when Giles County was formed, and named for Captain George Pearis, early settler. Established in 1808, it was first incorporated in 1835, and reincorporated in 1914. Here, in May 1862, Union troops under Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes were defeated by Confederates under General Henry Heth. The present courthouse was erected in 1836.
Geographic Location: Giles County
Physical Description of Location: Pearisburg, VA 24134. Located on South Main Street (Hwy 460), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the junction of South Main Street (Hwy 460) and Wenonah Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling north on South Main Street (Hwy 460).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth