Peabody High School, originally the Colored High School, was established in 1870 in the old First Baptist Church located on Harrison Street. The second school was built here on this site facing Filmore Street. The current site of the school is on Wesley Street. Peabody is one of the earliest publicly funded high schools for African Americans in Virginia. The City of Petersburg had begun to develop a public school system as early as 1868 and provided the funding needed to build city schools and pay teachers salaries. Alfred Pryor became the school's first African American principal in 1882.
Date Installed-Dedicated: May 26, 2012
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Petersburg
Physical Description of Location: Southwest corner of intersection between Harrison Street and Liberty Street, Petersburg, VA 23803.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth