Patrick Hagan (1828-1917) emigrated from Dungannon, Ireland, about 1844 and joined his uncle, Joseph Hagan, in Scott County. He read law, was admitted to the bar, and became one of the state's foremost land lawyers. Hagan amassed large holdings of coal and timber lands, including Osborne's Ford, as it had been called since 1786 when Stephen Osborne obtained a land grant. The community, which Hagan renamed for his birthplace, grew rapidly after the Clinchfield Railroad built a depot in 1912. Hagan also designed the town plan, and Dungannon was incorporated in 1918.
Geographic Location: Scott County
Physical Description of Location: Southwest corner of intersection between 3rd Avenue (Virginia 72) and Jefferson Street (State Route T-1009), in front of post office, Dungannon, VA 24245.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth