containertop

Paspahegh Indians Marker, V-50

Located nearby was the main town of the Paspahegh Indians, tributaries to paramount chief Powhatan. When Jamestown was built in their territory, the Paspahegh consistently resisted the English settlement. In Aug. 1610, George Percy, on orders from Gov. De La Warr (Delaware), destroyed the Paspahegh town and its crops, killing 16 people and capturing the wife and children of chief Wowinchapuncke. On their return to Delaware's ship, the English threw the children overboard and then shot them in the head, and later executed the chief's wife--actions that changed the nature of warfare for the Virginia Indians. Wowinchapuncke was killed in a later skirmish near Jamestown. The remaining Paspahegh left the area by 1611.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Charles City, VA 23030. Located on John Tyler Hwy (Rt. 5), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the junction of John Tyler Hwy (Rt. 5) and State Route 623. Marker is on the left when traveling east on John Tyler Hwy (Rt. 5).
GPS Location: 37.291681,-76.933257
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom