On this site stood the Parker-Gray High School, the first high school for African American students in Alexandria. Before the school was built, African American students had to attend school in the District of Columbia. The noted civil rights attorney Charles Houston and other local activists persuaded the city of Alexandria to appropriate funds to build the school, and it opened in 1950. Because of the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court’s Brown v. the Board of Education decision, court ordered desegregation began in 1959. Parker-Gray closed in 1979 as a middle school. The Parker-Gray Historic District bears the school’s name.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Trammell Crow Inc.
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - 1201 Madison Street Alexandria, VA 22314. Located on Madison Street, less than 1/5 of a mile west of the intersection of Madison Street and North Washington Street. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Madison Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth