On the knoll 400 yards west, Presbyterian settlers of the Upper Buffalo Valley founded a congregation in 1758 and constructed a log fort that was also used as a place of worship. A stone church replaced it after the Revolutionary War. The Rev. William Graham, founder and president of Liberty Hall Academy (present-day Washington and Lee University), served as Oxford’s pastor from 1788 to 1793. In 1868, local citizens, many of them Confederate veterans, constructed the present brick church in the Greek Revival style on part of the old stone church’s foundation.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Oxford Church
Geographic Location: Rockbridge County
Physical Description of Location: 176 State Route 677, Kerrs Creek, VA 24450. At intersection of Oxford Lane.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth