Near the intersection of Washington and Lewis Streets stood the original burial ground for Lexington’s substantial free-black community and slaves dating to the early 1800s. The majority of the original burials were in unmarked graves and no records were maintained of these burials. The Town of Lexington obtained ownership of the cemetery in 1876 and closed it in 1880 and the persons buried here were purportedly moved to Evergreen Cemetery, although there is little information to document the extent of reburials. In 1946 the Town of Lexington subdivided the old cemetery and houses were built over the burial ground.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Richard G. Williams
Geographic Location: Lexington
Physical Description of Location: Lexington, VA 24450. Located on Hwy 11, 0.75 miles southwest of the intersection of Hwy 11 and East Midlothian Trail (Hwy 60). Marker is on the right when traveling southwest on Hwy 11.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth