Beginning in 1749, Orange County's successive courthouses have been located just west of here. In 1854, the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, constructed to link Alexandria with central Virginia, reached Orange and a train station was built near here. The 1804 courthouse was replaced in 1859 by the present Italianate structure a block farther west. The buildings around the train station comprised one of the town's early commercial districts. A 1908 fire destroyed the original train station and the buildings on the north side of this block. The station and the Main Street structures east and west of it were rebuilt in the early 1900s.
Geographic Location: Orange County
Physical Description of Location: Southwest Corner of East Main Street and Short Street in front of Orange County Department of Tourism, Orange, VA 22960.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth