Orange Graded School, built in 1925 to replace the African American schoolhouse on West Main Street stood here. Of the several county schools for black students, Orange Graded was the only one built using the Julius Rosenwald Fund, which was established in 1917 by the president of Sears, Roebuck and Company to construct schools for African Americans across the rural South. Of the $6,200 building cost, 40 percent was raised by the local African American community. This four-teacher standard plan school was one of the larger Rosenwalds built in Virginia. Gussie Baylor Taylor was recruited to teach in 1925 and later served as the school’s supervisor.
Original Sponsor: Judith P. Carter, chairman Orange County School Board
Geographic Location: Orange County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: 200 Dailey Drive, Orange VA.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth