In 1607, Opposunoquonuske, sister of the Appamattuck Indian chief Coquonasum, headed an Appamattuck town on the James River at the mouth of the Appomattox. On 24 May 1607, Opposunoquonuske received a party of Englishmen in a stately fashion, greatly impressing them. After the August 1610 destruction of a Paspahegh Indian town by Lord de la Warr's forces, Opposunoquonuske's men ambushed English soldiers whom she had invited into her town. The English retaliated that winter by burning her town, killing several Indians, shooting and wounding Opposunoquonuske. By 1613 Bermuda Hundred had been established at the town site.
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Bermuda, VA 23836. Located on E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10), 2.75 miles northwest of the intersection of E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10) and Windston Churchill Drive (Rt. 156). Marker is on the right when traveling northwest on E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth