In 1608, Capt. John Smith mapped Opiscopank near here as an Indian town where a chief lived. Oddly, his narratives did not mention visiting the town or how he learned about it. In 1649, Ralph Wormeley patented 3,200 acres here that included “the Indian Townes of old & new Nimcock, bounded N.W. upon Rosegill Cr.” While the Rosegill plantation later became well known, historical records are silent on what became of the Nimcock Indians who lived at the former Opiscopank. Archaeological research found evidence of Middle to Late Woodland Indian habitation at several locations on the former Rosegill plantation.
Year On Marker: 2010
Original Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Middlesex County
Physical Description of Location: Route 227 South of Urbanna Creek, Saluda, VA 23149. Marker is on right after crossing over Urbanna Creek.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth